Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Childlike Faith

Being a nanny has opened my eyes to the mothering world in ways I never could have imagined. It presents a lot of challenges, and one of them is dealing with the endless stream of questions that spill from their uncensored mouths. I cannot count the number of times I have heard "Why, Miss Courtney?" And it is remarkable to me the number of times I am not able to actually explain or give a sufficient answer. It is a bit frustrating and trying at times, and definitely is humbling.

However, it has been a positive challenge for me to be faced with Kendall and Warner's questions about God and Jesus and heaven. I have to be able to give an answer for my faith, just like scripture says. And then I  have to be able to explain it in layman's terms. It is challenging, yet so rewarding to have conversations about God with them, and to see how God has already taken hold in their hearts.

One particularly awesome experience occurred last week in the car on the way home from piano. I had a worship song on and was singing along when Kendall asked, "Miss Courtney, are you singing to Jesus?" I told her I was, and then she asked if she could sing to him too. I said, "Of course! Jesus loves it when we sing to him. Anyone can sing to him at any time!" While Kendall was letting this sink in, I hear Warner belting out from the backseat "JEEEEEEESSSSSUUUUUUUUSSS. GOOOOOOOOD. JEEEEEESSSSUUUUUUUSSSSS" over and over. It was loud and more yelling than singing, but I was smiling inside and out, because I knew he was singing from his heart. God was more than delighted to receive that innocent and pure praise and recognition. It was such a sweet moment. 

Later when we were back home and the kids were playing and I was making dinner I could hear Warner from the next room singing, "Ohhhhhhhhhh Jeeeesssuuuuus," which is part of the chorus of one of the worship songs I listen to most frequently. It bolstered my soul, and made my heart leap to see that seed of love for God taking root in this little 2-year old boy. Oh the beauty of childlike faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment