Thursday, December 22, 2011

Recap #5 (China): Installment 2

While in Beijing I spent a number of days reading through Psalm 139. It is a favorite of many people, and I am no exception. However, as I read through it this time, I felt that God would speak to me or bring some revelation every few verses. I would then meditate on that section and pray it over myself and my life. I had some really special times with God while reading through this Psalm. I have shared some of my journal excerpts. I also developed a worship soundtrack of sorts for my time in Psalm 139, so I have interwoven the songs into this post.

"O Lord, you have examined my heart and know everything about me."

Examine your heart. What do you see? What does God see?

God, I want to have a pure and clean heart that strives to be like you. I ask that you forgive me and cleanse my heart of all these burdensome iniquities. I thank you and praise you for being a God who doesn't leave me the same person. You desire to change me, shape me, mold me, more into your likeness. You are so good to me, Father. I am so undeserving of it. I want you to continue to hone and refine my heart to look more and more like yours. Make my heart so beautiful.










Lead me in your ways, Lord. Help me to turn from my ways and the ways of the world; to  leave them behind without another backward glance.


"You know when I sit down or stand up. You know my thoughts even when I'm far away."


Lord, help me to have my thoughts fixed upon you. I pray that my desire for you would be so great that I can never get enough of you.







"You see me when I travel and when I rest at home. You know everything I do."

You are everywhere. I need to be everywhere with you. Make me more aware of your presence. Give me a greater desire for that wonderful presence. I pray that every morning I would wake up early burning with excitement to spend time with  you.



"You know what I am going to say even before I say it, Lord."

I pray that you would be the filter between my mind and mouth. Teach me when to keep my mouth closed. Help me to speak only life and love to others. Build me to be an encourager.

"If I ride the wings of the morning, if I dwell by the farthest oceans, even there your hand will guide me, and your strength will support me."

You are with me anywhere I go, whether I feel you there or not. You are omnipresent. No matter what place I'm in or what season of life I'm in, you are still God, and I have a reason to sing and worship you.




"You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mothers womb."

You know me inside and out. You are the Great Physician because you know exactly how my body works. You know me completely; every single detail. As humans we long to be known and understood, and you know us and understand us better than anyone ever will, and even better than we know or understand ourselves!  You are amazing, God.

"Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous- how well I know it."

Only my God could create humans so complex and unique. You are so creative. Your works are all beautiful, magnificent, and perfect.




"You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion, as I was woven together in the dark of the womb."

Even before I entered the world, you still watched over and cared about my life. Your tender care is so intimate to watch us even in our mother's womb, where we are still secluded from the world. Your love cannot be fathomed.

"You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed."

God, you already know my whole life. You have gone before me and prepared it for me. Nothing is unexpected to you, nor is it too big for you to handle. Every hurt, every joy--you already know they are coming, and you will stand at my side through them all. Thank you for being a God who takes care of every detail, but also wants to live them out with me.




The more my eyes are opened to see God more clearly and understand more completely who he is and what his character is, the more I will fall on my knees in worship.

God wants to speak to our hearts through the Scriptures. We just need to take the time to listen as we read. Meditate and pray through the Word and allow them to flood our lives with love, peace, and encouragement.

No comments:

Post a Comment