Monday, April 11, 2011

From Fear to Faith

Yesterday I was reading Mark 4, and God used the parable in which Jesus calms the storm to convict me of the lack of faith I have had in my life recently. Most of us know the story well: the disciples and Jesus are in a boat at sea when a large storm comes up, threatening to sink them. Jesus is dozing in the stern of the boat, and the disciples wake him in a panic, because they fear they will die. Then Jesus says to them, "'Why are you so afraid? Have you still no faith?'" (v. 40). He calms the storm, and they are all safe. And I imagine the disciples maybe felt somewhat foolish.

When reading this parable it is easy to scoff at the disciples and wonder how they could be so scared and distrusting. They had Jesus in the boat with him. Jesus! C'mon guys! I definitely scoffed, thinking to myself that the disciples were a bit ridiculous. But as I went back to read the passage again, I felt God asking me "Why are you so afraid? Have you still no faith?" 


"Wow," I thought. I do have a lot of fears in my life. But I shouldn't really be afraid, because I know that God is bigger than anything in my life, and he has a plan for everything. I don't need to fear anything when I have the God of the universe on my side. He has shown himself faithful and loving in so many instances in my life, yet I am still so quick to choose fear instead of trust. When I realized this, I was a bit embarrassed and ashamed that my faith was so little. But shame is not of the Lord, so I knew that I must give it back up to God and ask that he give me faith and help me to trust him and surrender my fears to him, laying them at the foot of his cross.

No more letting doubt, confusion, and fear rule my life. I will choose to remember the great faithfulness of my heavenly Father. I will remind myself often that he is the ONLY one I can truly trust, rely on, and put all my hope in. He will never leave me nor forsake me. So I am choosing faith over fear.

"For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline."  
(2 Timothy 1:7)


"And the very hairs on your head are all numbered. So don't be afraid; you are more valuable to God than a whole flock of sparrows."   (Luke 12:7)


"So don't be afraid, little flock. For it gives your Father great happiness to give you the Kingdom."  (Luke 12:32)



No comments:

Post a Comment