Saturday, February 19, 2011

Fighter Verses

While I was still living in Minnesota I was attending Bethlehem Baptist church, which John Piper pastors. Something that I loved about the church was the commitment of its members to memorize scripture. Each week there was a new fighter verse for the congregation to memorize, and it would be recited then at the service. Bookmarks with a checklist of the fighter verses and the dates on which the week's memorization would be given were handed out at most services, and I have one marking my place in my own Bible. I wanted to challenge and encourage others to join in this journey of scripture memorization, because we ought to dedicate ourselves to knowing God's Word that we may hide it in our hearts.

The link for the fighter verse website is: http://www.fighterverses.com/set-1-core-esv/week-7/.

"How can a young person stay on the path of purity? By living according to your word. I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. Praise be to you, LORD; teach me your decrees. With my lips I recount all the laws that come from your mouth. I rejoice in following your statutes as one rejoices in great riches. I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways. I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word."
(Psalm 119:9-16)


Tomorrow is the start of a new week and the next fighter verse is Romans 8:1.

"So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus."

  

No comments:

Post a Comment